There’s nothing more important than your safety when playing online with real money. But what makes secure online casinos, and what are the hallmarks of a secure and safe online gambling site? These are the questions that we’ll be tackling right here. So stick with us, and by the end, you’ll be able to confidently spot safe and secure operators from less than reputable platforms and know which ones to play with and which to avoid.
Don’t Get Scammed: Choose a Safe Online Casino
When it comes to online casino gaming, the last thing you want is to be swindled by a shady operator. So, how can you ensure that you’re rolling the dice with a safe and trustworthy online casino? Here are some tips to keep in mind:
- Look for a valid license: A reputable online casino should be licensed by a recognized regulatory authority, such as the Malta Gaming Authority or the UK Gambling Commission. Though many casinos have a Curacao license, you should know that’s not one of the best licensing options as players may not have as much legal recourse in case of disputes or fraudulent activity. Curacao does not have a dedicated player protection program like some other licensing authorities.
- Check for security measures: A secure online casino should use industry-standard encryption technology to protect your personal and financial information. Look for the padlock icon in the address bar to ensure the site uses a secure connection. Click here to learn more about why SSL encryption is crucial to online casinos.
- Read reviews: Before signing up for an online casino, read our casino reviews to have a closer grasp on the casino. Pay special attention to our verdict on the casino’s safety, customer service, and payout speed.
- Avoid scams: Be wary of online casinos that promise big payouts or use aggressive marketing tactics. If something seems too good to be true, it probably is.
In addition to choosing a safe and trustworthy online casino, it’s important to take steps to secure your account. To get started, check out our article on How To Ensure Your Online Casino Account is Secure.
How to Look for a Safe Online Casino
When you gamble online, you’re giving your hard-earned money and data to a website that sometimes has no physical presence, making safety and security critical. Not only do you need to know that the games you’re playing provide a fair roll of the dice (especially if you are a fan of playing craps) and payout, but also that your data is in safe hands and adequately protected.
Don’t panic. There are safety and security regulations that upstanding, secure online casinos follow to ensure that their online casino games are fair and their customers and site are safe. We’re going to take you through each one below.
1. US Casino Licensing
A reputable jurisdiction licenses safe online casinos. For a USA online casino to be legal in the USA, it must be licensed within the state it offers its services. Each state has its own licensing body. For example, New Jersey online casinos are licensed by the NJ Department of Gaming Enforcement, Pennsylvania gambling sites are regulated by the Pennsylvania Gaming Control Board, and the Michigan Gaming Control Board licenses Michigan casinos.
Licensing is the gold standard of casino safety in the USA. It means the government licensing body has audited the casino and the operator; that the casino pays its taxes locally and is subject to US consumer laws (so you’re protected just like when you make regular purchases); that the games meet payout percentage benchmarks for that state; and that there is a complaints procedure in place for the customer if things go wrong.
Every licensed US online casino bears its state seal; this is legally binding and authenticates safe and approved sites from those that are not. To do a quick check if a US casino is licensed, check for the seal at the footer of the homepage.
2. Game Audits
The casino software provider conducts game audits, and then the licensing body in the USA. A game audit is the process of checking game software to ensure that it pays out as advertised, is fair and is random in results (not rigged).
Usually, game testing involves a computer simulating gameplay, like on a free game, and recording the game outcome over millions/ billions of spins or rounds to audit the payouts. Only once the auditor is happy that the game operates as designed and is fair will it be licensed for use at US online casinos: this is how you know that games are safe when you gamble at licensed, secure online casinos.
Security is a must at safe online gambling sites. As you’re trusting the operator with your data and money, you need to know that they have protections to keep your information and cash secure from malicious third parties/the wider net.
- SSL Encryption: This ensures your connection is private when playing at a casino. You can check whether a site uses SSL encryption by looking for the padlock at the top-left of your browser’s URL bar on a casino website. If there’s a padlock there, the site has adequate protection, and you can play.
- Data Protection Protocols: You can find info on this via the casino’s terms and conditions. You simply need to check that the casino has a process to keep personal information private and doesn’t share it.
4. Safe Payment Methods
Casino payment methods should be offered through reliable and safe payment providers, like Visa casinos, Paypal casinos, and Play+. These well-known giants of the payment processing world offer both casinos and players protections, like anti-fraud insurance and high-tech security features, meaning your payments are safe and private.
An online casino’s trustworthiness is often measured by its fast and reliable payment systems. This includes how long it takes to receive a deposit/withdrawal, whether there are any fees, and how easy it is to withdraw. When a casino is upfront about any charges and processing times, it builds trust with you guys and shows that they are transparent. What’s more, online casinos that are really open will even publish their payout percentages, which tell you how much they earn and payout as a percentage of total player stakes.
5. Customer Support
Customer support can make or break a player’s experience at an online casino. While all casinos will offer support, there are varying levels of availability, channels provided, and service. A reliable and safe online casino aims to provide the best support and give players a wealth of information about their site and safety processes. What’s more, they will be easy to contact.
Our top tip is to avoid gambling platforms that limit customer support to only an email option and sites with scant information. Missing FAQs, missing licensing information, and lacking general site info are all red flags of an operator who, at best, hasn’t considered the player and, at worse, is rogue/blacklisted.
Endorsements and reviews from players and experts are excellent ways to discover whether a casino is trustworthy or not. You can also learn about new sites by reading a few. So like, when you’re buying anything or even checking out a new restaurant, see what others have to say and compare products to find the best before you invest your cash.
Safe Online Casinos
|1||Try Your Luck, Spin The Wheel|
|Sign-Up||UK 18+ | Play Responsibly | T&C Apply|
|2||€2000 + 150 Free Spins in 3 Bonuses Welcome Package|
Wazamba Casino review
|Sign-Up||UK 18+ | Play Responsibly | T&C Apply|
Safe Online Casino Checklist
If you are looking for a quick test that you can conduct to test an online casino’s security and trustworthiness, then use this checklist. Don’t forget. If this seems like too much hard work, you can get the expert lowdown on hundreds of online casinos using CasinoTop10’s online casino reviews. These are 5 points to look out for when testing the question: are online casinos safe?
- Check for a state seal at the bottom of the casino homepage to ensure the casino is legal, regulated, and audited in your state.
- Check the casino’s URL bar for encryption padlock.
- Check player and expert reviews looking for red flags, like missing or heavily delayed payouts.
- Check the payment methods and onsite information – does it make you feel confident to invest your money and play?
- And lastly, test the customer support: is there live chat or phone support? Do the agents address your questions or avoid questions?
Safe Online Casinos FAQ
Are online casinos safe, can an online casino ever be trusted?
Of course, an online casino can be trusted so long as it bears all the seals of a safe online gambling site. It might surprise you to know that the casino industry and not the government first lobbied and created casino safety and games testing regulations.
What makes an online casino trustworthy?
The most essential element is casino licensing, as a casino has to meet multiple regulations like safety protocol, games testing, and anti-money laundering protocol and pay a hefty fee to apply for a license. Hence, licensed sites don’t mess around when it comes to online security. Other factors that make a trustworthy online casino include fast and reliable payouts, incredible casino support, published game audits, and clear security measures.
How do I know if an online casino is legit?
The easiest way is to check expert casino reviews like those you’ll find at CasinoTop10. Otherwise, you can use our safe online casino checklist above to assess any online casino in just a few minutes!