Joker Poker, also called Joker Wild, is a video poker variation in which the Joker acts as a wild card. As in other video poker games, the object of the game is to obtain the best five-card hand possible. With the joker acting as a wild card, players will have more opportunities to get a winning poker hand.
No Joke Casinos
How to Play Joker Poker (Five-of-a-kind)
This variation is played with 53 card decks, all regular cards 2-A plus one joker, and therefore this is one of the few games where you can actually get a five-of-a-kind hand. (You can also obtain five-of-a-kind hands in Deuces Wild Video Poker as all two’s are wild and substitutes, just like the joker in Joker Poker, to any other card).
If you want to play this versatile game, stick to the following rules:
- Either choose an online casino from the toplist on this page, or sign in to your regular online casino account.
- Select a payment method which is available in your region and add however much you wish.
- Select the Joker Poker video poker game at the online casino you’re playing at.
- Choose an amount to wager on the first round that you play on Joker Poker.
- Look for the ‘deal cards’ button on the screen and click on it to start the first round of the game. Five cards will appear on the screen, selected at random from the 53 standard deck of cards.
- Look at the five cards in front of you and determine if you want to discard any cards to improve your hand, or leave it as is if you have a strong hand. Use the strategy table in this article to help you.
- If you have a weak hand, choose the cards you want to discard and then click on the ‘deal cards’ button once more to get the new replacement cards.
- Now you have all your cards you will either win a payout (see payout table below) if you have a winning poker hand, or lose your money. You need a pair of Kings or better in order to receive a payout.
- If you want to play a round further click on the same ‘deal cards’ button again to receive five new cards.
Optimal Strategy for Joker Poker
The strategy for joker poker is fairly straightforward. The main difference with other video poker variations is that it uses the wild card to form any poker hand. Read through the table below to know what to do when you receive a particular set of cards, and keep in mind that when you are given the Joker card it can turn into any card in the deck.
|First hand of Cards||Optimal Strategy|
|Hold on to all your cards|
|Straight Flush||Hold on to all your cards|
|Four of a Kind||Hold on to all your cards|
|Full House||Hold on to all your cards|
|Four to a Royal Flush||Draw one card|
|Flush||Hold on to all your cards|
|Three of a Kind||Draw two cards|
|Straight||Hold on to all your cards|
|Four to a Straight Flush||Draw one card|
|Two Pair||Draw one card|
|High Pair||Draw three cards|
|Three to a Royal Flush||Draw two cards|
|Four to a Flush||Draw one card|
|One Low Pair||Draw three cards|
|Four to a Straight||Draw one card|
|Three to a Straight Flush||Draw two cards|
|Two to a Royal Flush||Draw three cards|
|Two High Cards||Draw Three Cards|
|One High Card||Draw Four Cards|
|Five Disconnected Low Cards||Draw Five Cards|
Joker Poker Pay Table
The stronger the hand, the bigger the payouts. As always, when you play online Video Poker, remember it is fundamental to check the individual machine’s payout-table before you begin. A general rule of thumb is that the size of the payouts follows regular poker hand ranking. The payout table starts at a pair of kings in Joker Poker. Deuces Wild, for example, starts at three-of-a-kind. This is because in Joker Poker there is only one wild card and therefore it’s harder to create strong hands. Deuces Wild contains more wild cards (all four 2’s) but you don’t get paid for any pairs and the payouts for trips and straights are usually much lower as well. If you compare with Jacks or Better, the added wild card, in this case, increases the chances of being dealt a strong hand. Unfortunately, this is also reflected in the paytable, as shown below.
|Five of a Kind||x200|
|Royal Flush with Joker||x100|
|Four of a Kind||x20|
|Three of a Kind||x2|
|Pair of Kings or Aces||x1|
Level-up Joker Poker
Sometimes, Joker Poker is offered in level-up mode. In level-up mode, a made poker hand will take you to the next level. Each level multiplies your winnings; on the first level, you win 1x your hands payout, second-level 2X, et cetera. If you don’t make your hand, the game is over and you will drop down the ladder. A “Free Ride Card” can automatically take you to the next level, even if your hand doesn’t qualify.
Play Your Favorite Video Poker at a CasinoTop10 Online Casino!
If you want to play a version of Video Poker that uses the wild card, then Joker Poker is the game for you. Take your pick from the best online casinos for Video Poker from our toplist and start playing immediately.